Sunday, July 24, 2005

Spinning... somebody stop me from posting


I was dying! There I am spinning away in the sweet, cool air conditioning when... BAM!!!! Thunder, lightening and the power going on and off. I was almost done with the fiber I working with so I cracked the windows and kept going. I started to get worried that between me sweating and the heat that I would end up with some felted yarn.

The fiber was a dyed aqua, navy and purple wool with these chunks of pink, yellow and red wool brushed into it (looked like someone too lint and threw it in). It was spinning nicely until I hit the chunks and then it ended up all wonky. I was getting a consistant thickness and twist until those darn chunks. Maybe I shouldn't have spun it thinner than the chunks.

I don't know what I'm going to do with it, but it was good practice.

2 Comments:

Blogger Peggy said...

That looks a lot like some fibre that I sold on ebay quite awhile back. Gorgeous stuff from Crosspatch Creations but those bits drove me insane. I couldn't keep my spinning much above thread-weight. I was treadling nicely and spinning smoothly along on my wheel and BAM! I'd hit one of those and it was like hitting a rock while speeding down a hill on a bike.

From what I can see from your picture it looks very nice though. It's going to be a yarn with character. Because what yarn really wants to be smooth and mundane all the time, right?

8:04 PM  
Blogger Peggy said...

Me again. What sort of worked for me in minimizing the contrast between fine wool and chunky chunks was to slow down and carefully draft the chunks a little more. Slim them down a little before spinning them into the yarn.

8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home