Thursday, March 24, 2005

Interview with a Purling Dervish

ARGH! Blogger ate my original post - so I'll try again.

Rebecca interviewed me, but I decided to wait until I can take the pictures she so kindly requested. Hey, if I show you my back, do I get some beads or something - like Mardi Gras?

In the meantime, Jen interviewed me, so here goes:

1. When do we get to hear more about your little venture?

Right now! Since I've filed my ficticious name, gotten my sales tax certificate I can let the cat out of the bag. I'm going to open a shop! I had a business plan for a shop I wanted to open in PA so I tweaked it a little and I'm going to give it a try.
The name I came up with was Purling Dervish but a lot (and I mean a lot) of people don't get the reference so I may have to change it. I thought everyone knew what a whirling dervish was.

It's going to be a cross stitching/ embroidery shop with a little knitting corner. I'm going to carry things you can't find at Michaels and JoAnne's - overdyed floss, hand dyed fabrics, 100% wool, sock yarn, great patterns etc. I've found 3 possible sites up here and am just waiting for the $$ to come in. In the meantime, I'm going to open an ebay store to start raising more money.


2. What does a knitting/quilting/cross stitching/painting stash room look like and how many square feet does it require?

Room? As in singular room? HA!! Try every single room except the kitchen. I have a weirdly oversized closet (in relation to the size of the house anyway) and have a 5'x5' of it taken by shelves full of floss (yes, I do have every DMC color), embroidery yarn, hoops, stitching fabric, and my watercolor stuff. My knitting corner holds most of my knitting stuff - except for my clap, a pair of socks and an afghan that I'm crocheting which is in the living room. My "dining room" has been converted to hold my sewing machine and an old entertainment hutch to hold all of my beading/fimo stuff. Then there is a corner in the 2nd bedroom which holds the decorative painting stuff.

There is a guest house on the property that I was thinking of converting. It's a big room with a tiny kitchen and a bathroom (bigger than the one in the main house) and I thought it would be perfect. Only problem, no heating - no cooling.

3. What are you making for the bunny along?

I may need to go into the bunny protection program. I'm making this one - but it looks kind of odd. I'll post a picture as soon as I'm done re-answering these questions.

4. Best yarn store you ever visited (anywhere, not necessarily local) and why?

Stitch N' Stuff in Reading,PA. It was charming. It was located in an old converted barn, the ladies that owned it (and the staff) were wonderful - helpful, kind, funny. They had everything - floss, yarns, fabrics, unique patterns. It was like Cheers - everyone knew your name.

5. Do you want any of Rabbitch’s green cotton? Haha just kidding. Describe the colors of your imaginary perfect variegated colorway yarn!

What's that saying? She made her green cotton bed, now let her fuzzy bunny ass lay in it. No way I want green cotton - although I was thinking of sending her a bucket 'o cotton just because.
My dream colorway: Have you ever been to Vermont in the fall? The blazing reds, vibrant oranges, yellows, faded greens and the delicate browns. Is there any way to knit autumn? That's what I want.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know this post is from forever ago, but it came up in google. A couple months ago, I actually named my handspun yarn site Purling Dervish, but you were absolutely right! NOBODY GOT IT!! It was so frustrating that I'm renaming it now. I was just compelled to tell you about it. :)
Did you open your store? What did you end up naming it?

2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home