Saturday, August 06, 2005

My first wheel spun yarn!!


YEAH!! I know it's not perfect, but it's mine, mine, mine!! My first bobbin actually came out better than the second. I think I was taking my time for the first and making sure everything was just right and then I started pushing it too hard ... I was so hot and sweaty and just blech-y.

And to top it off, I did it with an ingrown fingernail. Yeah, never heard of that either. I had broken my nail quite far back, but I guess I didn't realize it wasn't straight across... there was a piece of longer nail doin' it's thang. It was sore for a couple of days and I thought it was just from knitting and stitching and spinning, but no... I looked at it this morning and went right to the Dr. I will not discuss the details... it still makes me squirm.

Check this out:

Yep, that's a wet sidewalk. It rained today! WOO HOOO! It didn't cool down any, and it was just a drizzle, but I was in it. I was hoping it would drop the temps like it does back east. Hrmph. So, yeah, it's still hot and sticky here... but I was dancing in the rain!

2 Comments:

Blogger Rabbitch said...

Congrats on starting spinning! Yours looks way better than my first couple of attempts (and, to be honest, better than my last, also).

Plying is really easy; if you were near here I would come and show you, but I know two ways so far. Basically to do a two-ply, you take two bobbins of yarn, hook them both up to the leader yarn on the other bobbin, and spin your wheel counter-clockwise, opposite of how you spin, and just let the two of them twist together. If you're using a lazy kate, you can put it on the floor and lean your leg against it to tension it so it doesn't all spew out at once.

If you want to know how to do it with just one bobbin and ply it back against itself, email me and I'll see if I can take some pictures or do a little video of Andean Plying and send it along to you, k?

3:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think that your first wheel spun yarn looks pretty good. you should be very proud of yourself!

9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home