Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Space Shuttle

I got to "see" the shuttle last night. 3:15 a.m. my Dad called me from the East Coast to say that it was landing out here at Edwards. He knew it would be something I wouldn't mind getting woken up for. Little background: my Dad is a retired History/American Cultures/Civics teacher. He loves this stuff and intstilled it in me.

So I went to the local Albertsons where the valley just spreads out below and watched. You really couldn't see anything but a white dot moving fast. The sonic booms were neat! Like a double shotgun blast. We hear sonic booms on a regular basis, what with all the test and training flights out of Edwards, but this was different. It was two booms in a row and louder than any I've heard.

Then today, I had occassion to be near the base (for the first time) and saw the dry lake bed (huge) and in the distance, the space shuttle still sitting outside. IT WAS AWESOME!!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an awesome experience. Thanks for sharing it. Isn't it amazing what our parents teach us to love?

5:33 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It would have been cool to have someone call us to let us know to go see it. . . glad you got to enjoy it, I'll enjoy vicariously through you.

BTW - When you get a chance, I'm tagging you, see my blog for details.

12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home